Celebrate the 60th Anniversary of Murphey Candler Park
Brookhaven's Duck Duck Goose 5k November 15th, 2014
Big thanks to all the sponsors, volunteers and participants today! We had a great event with over 300 registrants. We look forward to an even bigger event next year.
About Murphey Candler Park
Murphey Candler Park is a 135-acre multi-use park located at 1551 West Nancy Creek Drive in northern DeKalb County, and is the largest park in the city of Brookhaven. The park is currently operated by DeKalb County Recreation, Parks & Cultural Affairs. Park amenities include multi-use fields, tennis courts, a swimming pool, a playground, picnic areas, a lake, and trails. Youth sports are offered through baseball, softball, and football programs that operate through the park. The lake is also home to Canada Geese, Mallards, other ducks and beavers.
Things to do
Picnic. Picnic pavilions are located throughout Murphey Candler Park primarily on the east and west sides of the lake. While many of the pavilions function on a first come, first served basis, pavilions can be reserved through DeKalb County. Note: many pavilions do not have direct access to parking.
Fishing. Murphey Candler Lake is a man-made lake that offers fishing and is home to largemouth bass, bluegill, redear sunfish, and channel catfish. A valid State of Georgia fishing license is needed to fish in Murphey Candler Park.
Trails. Murphey Candler Park offers multiple trails, with the primary trail established as a 2 mile loop that circles Murphey Candler Lake. The trail includes a variety of scenery including woodsy areas, bridges, wetlands, and passes near picnic pavilions. The main trail can be accessed from any of the parking areas.
Tennis. The tennis courts are located along Candler Lake East, near the intersection with Nancy Creek Way. The two courts are available on a first come, first served basis. Parking for the courts is available in multiple small gravel lots along Candler Lake East bordering the park.
Playground. The playground is located on the east side of Murphey Candler Park. Parking for the playground is available along Candler Lake East via gravel lots. A paved, but restricted horseshoe-shaped access road encircles the wooded area where the playground is located. A restroom is located near the playground area.
Pool. DeKalb County maintains Murphey Candler Pool located on Candler Lake West. The pool is open seasonally to the public. A daily admission fee of no more than $3/person is required or a seasonal pass can be obtained. Restrooms and parking are available.
Sports Fields. Football, baseball, and softball fields are located on the south side of the park. Access to and scheduling for many of these fields is facilitated by the youth sports organizations that call them home: Atlanta Colts, Murphey Candler Little League, and Murphey Candler Girls Fastpitch. Parking is available for these fields along West Nancy Creek Drive. A multi-use field is available to the general public on the corner of West Nancy Creek Drive and Candler Lake East.
Murphey Candler Park was originally planned in 1950 with the prospective donation of 100 acres of land by Mr. Fred Wilson and 35 acres by Mr. & Mrs. M. A. Long. The idea of the park was championed by the North DeKalb Planning Council (formerly the Brookhaven Planning Council) with the support of many area civic/service groups and religious/fraternal organizations. In 1952, DeKalb County acquired the 135 acres of real estate located between Ashford Dunwoody Road and Chamblee Dunwoody Road with the intention to build a park for the communities of North DeKalb. The sole commissioner for DeKalb County (serving 1939-1955) at that time was Scott Candler. At the request of Fred Wilson, the park was named in honor of Mr. Candler’s late father, Charles Murphey Candler, a highly respected state Representative and state Senator, and good friend of Fred Wilson. On Sunday, January 31, 1954, a groundbreaking ceremony was held for Murphey Candler Park. Since no road existed at the time to the future park land, the ceremony was held at the point on Ashford Dunwoody Road where the park access road was to be built, now known as West Nancy Creek Drive. East Nancy Creek Drive and Candler Lake East were completed a short time later, giving people a way to get to the new park from either Chamblee Dunwoody or Ashford Dunwoody Roads. Right of way to the park from Ashford Dunwoody Road was granted by Jim Cowart Sr. with the understanding he would develop the land surrounding the park north of Nancy Creek. In the 1950's Murphey Candler Park was located in the City of North Atlanta. It was the only major park in the area servicing Brookhaven, Dunwoody, Chamblee and Doraville for decades. It still remains the largest park in all of North Dekalb.